Center for Excellence in Environmental Education
Longwood University is dedicated to the development of citizen leaders prepared to contribute to the common good. In support of this mission we invite qualified applicants to apply for the position of Program Developer for the Center for Excellence in Environmental Education (CE³). CE³’s mission, to inspire and prepare active stewards of our environment, will be met through several strategic goals: 1) engage all Longwood students in meaningful environment-based learning; 2) provide environmental education support for Virginia’s K-12 teachers; and 3) promote environmental literacy among Virginia’s citizens. When fully developed, CE³ will be staffed by full-time faculty members and supported by the activities of consultants, curriculum developers, and others. The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to guide the transition of CE³ from a carefully researched idea to a true leader in environmental education for the University, the Commonwealth, and the
Chesapeake Bay watershed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and frame the specifics of CE³ so as to make it a model of excellence in the region and beyond
- Create a viable and sustainable financial plan for CE³
- Collaborate with stakeholders (e.g., faculty and staff, leaders in Virginia’s public education systems, environmental education professionals, and community leaders) to develop CE³ as an integrated component of the Longwood campus and a key player in serving needs of both K-12 education and broader educational needs of citizens around the Commonwealth
- Work collaboratively to create and implement a long-term strategic plan for CE³
- Research and define the specific environmental education needs in Virginia
- Represent and raise the profile and visibility of CE³ to funders, partners, policymakers, and the public
- Analyze potential partnership opportunities with university administration; boards; local, regional, and stage agencies; and volunteers
- Research funding opportunities and construct a comprehensive list of those with real potential
- Perform all duties ethically; ensure all decisions, activities, and business are in compliance with policies and applicable Commonwealth and Federal laws and regulations
- Master’s degree preferred; Bachelor’s degree with appropriate experience will be considered in lieu of graduate credentials
- Significant experience in program development and management with demonstrated success in moving efforts from ideas to implementation
- Experience with and knowledge of higher education, public education, and environmental education
- Entrepreneurial spirit to imagine the potential of CE³ and enthusiasm for moving projects from nascent stages to full potential
- Honed skills in complex collaborative work with application to the framework of a higher education institution
- Exceptional capacity for networking and advocacy and ability to build coalitions with a wide range of individuals and organizations at the local, regional, and national levels
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and judgment
- Demonstrated success in securing resources
- Ability to manage multiple high priorities with competing deadlines and to plan, coordinate, and monitor goals and strategies
- Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge of Virginia’s educational and environmental organizations
The Program Developer position will be phased out as CE³ is officially launched. The expected duration of the Program Developer position will be 24 months. The Program Developer would be eligible to apply for permanent CE³ positions for which s/he has appropriate qualifications.
Full position description can be accessed via this link: http://www.longwood.edu/assets/hr/FA370_Program_Developer_Center_for_Excellence.pdf
Note: VAST posts job announcements as a courtesy. VAST is in no way responsible for the accuracy of the announcement. If you are interested in a postion, please direct your inquiry to the contact listed in the announcement.
If you have a job announcement, please email email@example.com. VAST reserves the right to choose what announcements are posted and when they are removed.